8/13/2004

Wednesday, August 12, 2004 - 2nd Day of Work - 1st Day of Problems

I originally was not going to write tonight, because I was planning on waking up early to wash clothes. Well, actually it is to find the girl with the tokens that go to the washing machine because I only had a 20 to give her today and assumed it was not the Greek way to pay with a twenty unless it was at a large place that works like the States. The reason that I am writing is that some issues came up that I am not sure if everyone is aware of. The issue is how the night shift will get home. It was said that all the buses would run 24 hours. Then, it was said that only the buses on the main roads would run. Most doubt that we are included on these main roads, because we are out of Athens so far. It is rather funny that we are considered to be far out since we can get from the IBC to Pikermi in less than 15 min in a car. I am somewhat alarmed that there has not been any talk of contracts. I talked to one of the non-Asbury shotlisters and she said that she had not seen any contract either. I mean are we supposed to go on some verbal contract and it isn’t even really that. I think it is more of an email sent over eight months ago. I guess I am a slave to the system right now. I don’t really mind. I just like to know when I am. Some are annoyed that the shotlisters are being referred to as “kids” by some of the CBC staff. I mean if you are half someone’s age, I guess you should be able to take that. I was also told there was some condescending talking going on, too. Some people are worked up. I feel the worst for Tommy though. He is getting paid the same as us, and he is doing much, much more work. He is pulling a 12-hour shift at least, and it sounds like it might become 13 hours. The issue of transportation is the main problem right now. There was no mention of it before. I assume we are responsible to find our own transportation. I figure if there are eight of us. It would be two cabs at 10 euro or less for 19 days. That is 190 euro. 190 divided by four is 57 euros a person. 57 times 1.2 the dollar exchange rate is 68.4 That isn’t ridiculous. Did people expect they would be making money? I am very surprised that there were over 400 applicants for the shotlister positions (this was according to Nicole). It’s hard for me to believe that 400 people would want to make no money for a month. The idea I assume is that they will get to know someone in the industry. Of course, since I have no plans of being in broadcasting in the future. This isn’t an issue. Although I do write down the names of people I meet in my Palm Pilot. On the same issue, I am sure that many others would say that I was crazy for doing all the projects for the Creative Group this summer, but I was actually making something that I could place in portfolio. It would be more like being a camera operator or a writer not a shotlister machine. It was on the creative side. I mean anyone could do this job if they had enough focus and knew the rules of the game. Either of which I would say that I have mastered. I have made it to work on time all three days, which is good. Tonight, I logged, er, shotlisted, PAR and JPN. The Japanese fans that had their faces painted like their flag looked really funny. The looked like clowns. They incessantly played drums for the whole came. It was very annoying. They started the drums during their national anthem. Joel told me that there were tickets left for a Round Two tennis match for 20 euros at 10am on either Sunday or Tuesday. He wants someone to go with him, and I’ll know tennis enough to enjoy watching it. I’ll probably end up going.

~ Stephen

site: http://www.smjdesign.com/
writing: http://www.tpkpoetry.com/
photography:
http://www.smjdesign.com/photo/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home